We work hard all summer, to get fit and keep those new year’s resolutions going, but when winter hits and the cold air and shortened days arrive, a little (OR A LOT!) of our motivation gets thrown out the window and that reversal of all our hard work begins.
We know it’s easier said than done, but staying active in winter is possible! It takes some discipline, a goal, a little bit of hard work, and something or someone to get your butt out of bed or off the couch!
We all know what winter is like… cold days, long nights, frost on your windscreen… but it’s also the time of year where we can become strong, smash those PB’s (personal best) and maybe even shed some of those lingering lockdown kilos!
It might be a hell of a lot easier to stay cooped and rugged up under the doona, or sit by the fire drinking a hot chocolate, but keeping up an active routine is important and will even make you feel good in many different ways!
Come on guys, Winter is only for 3 months, that’s roughly 90 days… which is only 2160 hours!
So, here’s how you can keep motivated and stay active!
1. Set a goal
- Set yourself a goal! Having something to aim for can be a major motivator.
- Making small achievable goals that act as steps to a bigger goal can help to keep you going.
- Goals help to create behaviour change. We are more likely to continue a particular behaviour if we are working towards something that we want to achieve.
- Download a goal setting app- there are plenty to choose from! These can help keep you focused and motivated towards your goal!
- Here is two of our favourite Free Goal and habit tracking apps:
- Strides: Goal and Habit Tracker
- Done: A simple Habit Tracker
2. Make a commitment
- Make a commitment to your health and fitness, always remember why you are doing it in the first place (remember that goal you made!)
- Make a commitment to yourself, with a friend, a gym, or a class.
- At the end of the day, you are doing this for you and you are only cheating yourself by staying in bed!
3. Have a plan B or C or D or F….
- Have a backup plan just in case your initial plans fall through!
- We can’t always predict what the weather may be like or how we wake up feeling on a particular day, so by having a plan B in place ensures we don’t slack off!
4. Prepare in advance
Don’t spend the time in the morning trying to find that one shoe that your puppy has hidden from you, prepare and organise what you need the day or night before!
- Before your head hits that pillow and you are all snuggled up in bed, get what you will need ready.
- Don’t forget in the colder months to layer up, you may need a beanie or a hat, some gloves, a neck warmer or a scarf.
- Still struggling to get out of bed because it’s too cold… last resort is why not sleep in your gear? That way all you will have to do is roll out and go!
5. Buddy up! Don’t be in it alone!
- Get a buddy and do it together!
- We are more likely to keep active when there is somebody else involved to help keep you both on track and motivated! So ask a friend, family member, partner or neighbour, if all else fails and you still want some company – join a group!
- Buddying up means someone is counting on you, which makes it even harder to cancel and keep sitting on that couch.
6. Reward yourself!
- Reward yourself for your efforts.
- Positive rewards can help to increase our motivation, so why not shout yourself a coffee or some breaky after smashing out a session! Or better still purchase a new gym outfit, that you’ll want to wear at your next workout.
7. Just give it a try!
- Just give it a go! Try it for 10minutes…. If you still hate it 10minutes in then at least you know you tried! But trust us, you probably won’t stop once you’re that far in.
- Layer up and warm up! A quick heart-pounding warm up will make you forget how cold it is… or at least distract you from the cold. You will be taking off those layers in no time!
- Try this 5 Minute Warm up – you will be pumped and ready to go before you know it!
8. Mix it up and make it fun!
- Don’t let your activity and fitness routine get boring, mix it up and make it fun!
- Doing the same thing every time can start feeling old, which can affect your motivation. So, mix it up a little and make it interesting;
- whether it is changing the location, the type of activity or the time of the day.
- Tired of running every day? Why not try Pilates, yoga, boxing?
- Too cold and wet to exercise outside? Why not workout inside!
Always remember the hardest part is the start; the best part is the end; but the crap in the middle is what makes it and that’s what keeps you going!! Please note when starting a new exercise program to always only do what you can, and speak to a professional if you are unsure of what to do.
Here at Bodywell Healthcare we are always eager to help, so if you need more advice or even assistance on any niggles or injuries that may be preventing you from keeping fit during this winter, please don’t hesitate to come visit!
To book an appointment, call 9717 1200 or alternatively book online at https://www.bodywellhealthcare.com.au/book-online/